Saturday, August 17, 2013

Hestia Event Spotlight by Nancy Eister

I have traveled in the symbolic world of dreams, journeyed to the four directions in a shamanic body experience, and stepped into a map of seeds, leaves, fruit, and roots to find my place in my life.  And yet, I never went more than two miles away from my home on Vashon Island! I’ve been a fortunate participant in three events offered through Hestia Retreat.

This year’s Women’s Day of Wellness in particular featured short workshops with many notable and inspired women teachers. It was a tantalizing taste of what can be possible at a fully embodied retreat center: singing, stillness, movement, energy work, Ayurveda, envisioning – what a feast!  (Speaking of feasts, the food at Hestia events is always delectable, well-chosen, just right.)

The real feast is in letting down my boundaries, enjoying, and allowing trust to grow in a circle of strangers.  There is a common bond, an innate wisdom that emerges when women gather intentionally. I have such deep regard and appreciation for everyone who has shared their stories with me or listened to mine. I have had so many rewarding experiences encircled by likeminded women. I have really grown through that.

Like so many other women, I am at a transition point in my life – in my case from fulltime, hands-on mom to empty nester. My old dreams and goals are slowly bubbling up to the surface from buried depths, and I also have new dreams, new goals. The Hearth Circles I’ve been in have all opened some new potential to me, given me tools and language for where I want to go next.

I really feel that our lives’ meaning is found outside of conventional parameters such as job titles, salaries, and status, and that it takes joyous work and participation to become who we are meant to be, to allow our true self to show her face. Each encounter with a passionate teacher or seeker educates me and enriches my life experience. What seemed at one time like a luxury (attending weekend workshops about knowing myself) now seems such a sound investment! I can see how the changes in my attitude and level of joy ripple outward to affect my family, my friends, my community.

As women, we really need a safe and soothing intentional space, and the fellowship of like-hearted sisters to counteract the constant grind and pressure of outside expectations. So many of our values are shoved aside, invalidated. We need each other. We grow so much stronger and better through collaborating with each other. I believe in the mission of Hestia Retreat, and I am so grateful for its part in my community on Vashon Island.


No comments:

Post a Comment