Sunday, August 18, 2013

It’s A Win-Win: Why My Partner’s Retreats Are Good for Me, by Steven Smith



I am contributing to this monthly newsletter as I think it is important to know of the benefits that everyone connected to a retreat participant can enjoy. 

Valerie, one of Hestia Retreat’s co-founders, has participated in many retreats since I have been in her life. They have included everything from a three hour retreat to a five day retreat. She always returns with a different understanding of her place in the world and usually has some clarity concerning issues with which she is struggling to come to terms.  At moments, I have observed a child-like joy for life because she is open to what is possible as result of her retreat time. 

Most importantly, I believe it brings her back to the present, where she can better engage in the moment with sense of groundedness and clarity of mind. We have had some of our most intimate conversations and some of our closest feelings of connection after her retreats.  I love to hear of the things she has learned. We often can apply this new found knowledge to our relationship. 

The shared experience with other woman brought her many new and close friendships. The bonds that are formed during these retreats bring Valerie such joy. 

We have also participated in a three day retreat together. The shared experience is so life affirming. We get to experience personal and relational growth at the same time. It's a very spiritual experience. 

Yes, I miss spending time with her while she is on or in retreat, I know that her happiness and our relationship will benefit from our time apart. We have both learned from our own life experiences that when we take care of ourselves and work on being a whole person, we can enjoy life fully. 

I am envious of the Hestia participants as they have such a great resource available in the monthly retreats and Wellness days. I wish that there was something similar for the men of Vashon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment