Sunday, August 18, 2013

Why I Am Part of Hestia Retreat, by Sylvia Soholt




I thought hard about whether to join the Hestia Board.  I was honored by the invitation but didn’t need to fill empty spaces in my days.  There aren’t any.  But as the owner of Sylvan Sanctuary, a personalized, non-commercial retreat in my home for people who want to finish a creative project, I have observed first-hand how important it is for people to escape long enough from the demands of their daily lives to reawaken or ignite their enthusiasm for implementing an original idea. 

When I learned that there are very few residential retreats solely for women in the country I was intrigued.  The marketing corner of my brain whispered: A niche!  I decided to extend my vision for the future benefit of what could be a much larger audience and joined the board to help figure out how to realize their vision.

I’ve enjoyed learning how others describe the Hestia Retreat of the future—what the physical site might look like, what natural, artistic, and comfort-inducing features it would have, how many women could be present at one time, and what kinds of programs would be offered. 

These ideas have been realized on a smaller scale many times over the past year.  Through Hestia’s Hearth Circles, small groups of women have come together to learn, for example, how to carve out time from busy lives for a personal retreat, how to include visualization in meditative processes, and how their visions for their own lives can be accomplished.  By making time for their growth, and prioritizing peacefulness and centering, they have embodied what we want to have happen for women on Vashon, in Washington, throughout the country and our world.

If you have expertise in facilitating learning experiences that occur in short periods of time, contact us!  You can help us grow the idea of Hestia, writ large or small.  

No comments:

Post a Comment