Friday, July 19, 2013

Why I Retreat, by Kirsten Foot

"As a spouse, mother, and professional, I crave time that is unscheduled and free of obligations and space away from the (beloved) people and (important) tasks that constantly seek my attention. So I retreat regularly: For the last several years I have taken a 24-hour silent retreat by myself every 3-4 months.
I use the common phrase “taking a retreat” when I need to tell others what I’m doing, but it sounds odd to me. Giving myself time to listen is what I understand myself to be doing when I retreat. As a nature-lover, I listen to the sounds of nature and I am refreshed. As a God-lover, I listen for the still, small, but transformative voice of the Holy Spirit, and I am renewed. And as I love myself by listening to my own spirit, I become more centered. All of this listening helps me become more clear about who I am (and who I am not), and thus more authentic in every realm of my life, every relationship.

I find that retreating in silence/solitude several times a year restores my sense of joy in the people and tasks that fill most of my days--at least most of them, most of the time. When I find myself feeling a persistent lack of joy, or outright dread, about re-engaging with someone or something following a retreat time, I listen to that, too. Sometimes I realize I need to alter my attitude, sometimes I become aware that I need to change my way of engaging, and sometimes I realize that I simply must find ways to disengage. Without regular retreats, I would trudge on joylessly, with less clarity about what saps my joy and less energy to make the necessary changes. Retreating from daily life gives me greater joy, peace, and strength to pour into daily living."



No comments:

Post a Comment