Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Why Hestia Retreat? Why Now?
  By Méla Bredouw


As I began to realize my long-held dream of spending winters in Mexico (having become cold-intolerant), my mind then turned to my next vision. This was during the Bush era, so the picture that emerged was to be in BC Canada during the summertime (looking to escape), serving on the board of a healing retreat center. I could see in my mind’s eye deep green forests, lush gardens, open hearts, and spiritual energy. Having taken part in several, weeklong silent retreats myself and pursued a path of holistic healing for decades, I knew the power of spirit and the life force.

In my conscious community of women, 2012 had been looming for a long time, with its promise of a shakeup of an indeterminate nature. It became apparent to me that our next phase of evolution as a species was to be revealed to us over these years, the “old ways” having lost their potency and efficacy, calling for something new. The worlds of mystery began to become even more attractive to me, having followed a spiritual path for many years now. That which could not be named or understood drew me, as I became a mature woman, and noticed I was now more comfortable with the indescribable.

This awakening unfolded gradually, and as I shared my journey with many others (mostly women), it became clear that the ways of women were to lead this new paradigm of being. Not in a “takeover” way, like the wave of feminine power of the ‘70s, but in an inclusive, gentle manner. Some of the world’s male leaders began to acknowledge the ways in which the planet and its peoples now need women to step forward and lead the way. Corporations started hiring women to teach their managers how to lead and succeed through cooperation, rather than competition. Women’s cooperatives have sprung up all over the world, to aid in the empowerment necessary to fulfill these new roles.

It became clear that women would need powerful support if they were to step onto this new path of leadership, or we would just take on more and try to do it all, and harm ourselves deeply. The martyr archetype. Putting ourselves last and taking care of everyone else is now old-school and needs to be transcended. Radical self-care would be needed, if we were to be effective in what we were being called to do.

When Valerie described her vision for a women’s retreat center to me in October of 2009, I wept in knowing this was my perfect path, beautifully illuminated for me by powers I may never understand. I felt my Sacred Yes immediately and we walked together, delighted (if a little daunted) to be doing this work together.

At Hestia Retreat, we will offer a nurturing place for women to recharge their energies and spirits, in order to offer an ease of powerful leadership. Sometimes we need solitude and quiet to hear our guidance, to rest, to think, to be in nature. Other times, we gain our power from being in circle with other women, as women have done since the beginning of time. We talk, laugh, learn, dance, cry, draw, and play together in a unique way that feeds us deeply.


The privilege of being able to create and offer this sacred space for today’s women speaks to the deepest yearnings of humanity in these times, and It is my honor to contribute to this new shift in this small way. I am steeped in gratitude for the vast support we’ve received, from gifted practitioners lending their craft, to dedicated volunteers and leaders, to our many financial donors, and all who follow and support our efforts. This is a vision that will be birthed. We are happy to be its midwives, and I am so thankful that my path has led me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment